Friday, February 5, 2016

Traffic...Am I Right?!

So here’s what happened: First of all, let’s just all agree that no matter what’s said here today, we’re not going to talk about it on my Facebook page.  The information I’m about to reveal is specifically designed for the elite group of devotees who get me like no one else ever will.  I’ve been sitting on this information because I don’t want a bunch of strangers hounding me but if you’re reading this, you’re no stranger.  If you really feel like you need to congratulate me, let’s agree that we do that here or that you call me, text me, email me, come over, etc.  Deal?  Deal.  It’s our little secret.

So anyway, December was a harrowing month for me.  For starters, Husband left me… for work… for a month.  He claimed this was necessary in order for him to make money for the team but it was obvious that he had fallen out of love with me.  He kept insisting that it was all for the betterment of our marriage and eventually I had to agree to his stupid plan.  Unsurprisingly, by day two of his departure, I was a total disaster.

I’ve become accustomed to many things since marrying Husband.  I no longer cook food.  I don’t know where any of our tools are.  I’m not entirely sure how my car works or how to put gas in it and I have no idea who my landlord is.  Basically, Husband does everything, I do nothing.  It’s kind of our thing.

Needless to say, by week two without him here, I had completely unraveled.  In addition, I was having hellacious cramps, thought I was dying, and didn’t know how to cope.  It seemed like the best course of action would be to spend literal hours looking up my symptoms on the internet, which I proceeded to do.  I came up with the following theory: I had just gone off birth control because of Operation Baby and this was my first period.  I was likely having horrific cramps because I was no longer being protected by the magic elixir that is birth control.  Clearly I needed to be coddled — but Husband was gone, so instead I bought a carton of cigarettes, a bag of Sriracha chips and proceeded to watch documentaries about ballet all weekend.  It was amazing.

Unfortunately, by the end of the weekend, I was feeling no better.  I decided to stay home from work on Monday because I still had a few episodes of Flesh and Bone to plow through.  So I did that and waited for Husband to call.  I knew once he heard I was dying, he would regret leaving me.  As usual, Husband was unimpressed, and instead of calling with concern he called to poke holes in my medical theories.

Husband: How are you?

Me: Dying.

Husband: But your only symptom is cramps?

Me: It’s probably my ovaries shutting down.  But don’t worry about me.  I know you have lots of work” to do.

Husband:  It sounds like you just have your period.

Me: STOP TRYING TO MINIMIZE MY PAIN!

Husband: Ok wife.  Get some rest, we’ll talk later.

Me: OH, CAUSE YOU’RE SOOOOOO BUSY!

I was outraged.  Clearly Husband didn’t know the first fucking thing about menstrual cramps.  Who the fuck did he think he was?  As I sat there on a Monday night, surrounded by heating pads, I was hit with a horrible thought.  OH FUCK.  I haven’t actually gotten my period yet.

It was at this point that I remembered that not being on birth control has several side effects beyond cramping.  I was horrified.  I smoked a few cigarettes and mulled over my options.  I decided that waiting was not going to help my situation.  I had to take matters into my own hands.  So I drove to CVS and stole a pregnancy test.  I know what you’re thinking, Alison, why would you steal one?  You have money, you’re married, it’s totally reasonable for you to need to purchase a pregnancy test.”  OLD HABITS DIE HARD YOU SONS OF BITCHES!  Seriously, I’ve stolen a lot of pregnancy tests in my day and they all came up negative.  I didn’t want to break my streak, so I just went with what I know.  STOP JUDGING ME!

Pregnancy tests are fucking confusing.  I was dealing with a plus-or-minus scenario and wouldn’t you know the minus sign popped up right away.  I was thrilled!  I knew my original diagnosis of full-blown kidney failure was accurate.  So I walked away to smoke a cig.  I had been through a lot and needed a break.  I came back about a half hour later and the negative pregnancy test caught my eye.  On top of the incredibly prominent minus sign was a very faint second line.  I suppose some would say this was resulting in a plus-sign situation, but it was impossible to tell because the second line was very faint.  I would have asked my husband what he thought about the situation BUT I COULDN’T BECAUSE HE HAD LEFT ME FOR AN ENTIRE MONTH!!!

I called him and tried to be reasonable. 

Me: Have you ever seen a positive pregnancy test?

Husband: What?

Me: I’m just saying, do you have any experience with a faint second line?

Husband: Are you pregnant?

Me: HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW, THESE THINGS ARE GOD DAMN RIGGED!

Husband: But you’re taking a pregnancy test right now?

Me: Yes!

Husband: I thought you had your period.

Me: WELL MAYBE IF YOU WERE HERE, YOUD KNOW THAT I DONT!

Husband: So you lied?

Me: I didn’t know!

Husband: You didn’t know that you didn’t have your period.

Me: STOP TWISTING MY WORDS!

Husband: Are you pregnant?

Me: I don’t know.  These tests are unreadable.  It says it will either be a plus or a minus but mine has a faint line.  Who’s to say what shape it is?

Husband: Text me a picture.

This is what it had come to.  I was resigned to texting pictures of a pregnancy test to my husband while chain-smoking in my bathroom.

Here’s the thing:  It doesn’t matter the faintness of the second line.  If you see a second line, you’ve been knocked up.  So it seems that just a week or so earlier, when I wrote a blog entitled Hi, I’m not pregnant,” I was, in fact, pregnant.  Yowsers, it’s amazing how often I’m completely wrong about things.

For the record, I am not supposed to be telling people but I’m not too worried about it.  Blogs are a lot like diary entries — they're a private place for me to sort through my thoughts that no one else will ever read, right?

I had to wait two more weeks until I could actually see Husband.  He promised to never leave me again and I promised to stop stealing.  These are the kind of life lessons I hope to teach my unborn child. 

Holy shit, this is happening.  

11 comments:

  1. Stop fucking with me. I'm not giving you any more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I crying right now? I already knew this information! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!! :)

    Love,
    Aunt GroundHog

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG so happy for you tw--three!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it looks like I will be out of town "working" in August as well. I didn't think you would mind as you handled December like a champ. I expect a picture text so I can show my Chitown peeps what our kid looks like. Thanks for understanding Wife. I love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, my friend, is quality husbanding. Well done. I love you both.

      Delete
  5. YAS! Welcome to the club. The first trimester is a literal nightmare. But it's supposed to be totally worth it. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you expect me to keep quiet about this?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Alison and Rob! I agree with Jenny...nightmare, but I"m not going to lie I can't wait to read your take on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! I was JUST thinking "her last blog is 'HI, I'm not pregnant'", but the story kept unraveling! This is so effing amazing I can't handle it! Congrats you two!
    PS, Please blog about traffic. I was very eager to hear about your traffic experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Due Date Night with Alison Royer's Baby! CONGRATS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy hell! Alison Royer is gonna be a mom! As crazy as it sounds it makes perfect sense;) I couldn't be happier for you and husband, you will be amazing parents!

    ReplyDelete